How to count the words in a PowerPoint 2007 presentation?

25 Apr

I recently needed to know the word count in a PowerPoint presentation. In my case, this was because I charge my clients by the word, in the main, and needed to know how much to charge someone for editing her PowerPoint text. But I’m sure it will be useful in other cases, too, for example if you’re a student with a word count target.

And it’s NOT obvious. Plus it’s different in Word 2007 and Word 2010, of course.

So, this is what you do …

How do I count the words in a PowerPoint 2007 presentation?

Open your document and click on the big Office button in the top left (1)

Click on Prepare (2) (like that’s obvious!) then Properties (3). This will give you some of the document properties in a bar along the top (these vary according to how you set up your document in the first place):

And because nothing ever shows you what you want immediately, you then need to click on Document Properties then choose Advanced Properties from the drop down. Then, finally, you get …

A lovely dialogue box with all the properties you could ever want, including the word count.

Please note, these hints work with versions of Microsoft Powerpoint 2007, for PC. Mac compatible versions should have similar options. Always save a copy of your document before manipulating it. I bear no responsibility for any pickles you might get yourself into!

Related posts:

How do I count the number of words in a PowerPoint 2010 presentation?

How do I count the number of words in a PowerPoint 2013 presentation?

Find all the short cuts here

Tags: , , , ,

10 responses to “How to count the words in a PowerPoint 2007 presentation?

1. Cocoonfxmedia

April 25, 2012 at 10:13 am

Having done some pretty big presentations to some of the top retailers in the world, words should be kept to bullet points and a max 5 bullet points per slide. Presentations should be a graphical support to a pitch or presentation. Nice post thou

• Liz at Libro

April 25, 2012 at 10:24 am

Yes, indeed, in fact I will probably do a post on PowerPoints themselves somewhere along the line. Some of these posts (c.f. “Why have my comments boxes gone tiny in Word”) are more written as aides memoire for myself as a reference tool, although that one actually gets at least a hit a day from the search engines!

2. Clement Sitali

January 2, 2013 at 6:03 pm

This has been very useful and to the point. Keep up the good job.

• Liz at Libro

January 2, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Thank you for taking the time to let me know that it’s been useful – much appreciated!

3. diana

December 2, 2013 at 3:46 pm

This has been really very helpful, thank you so much! Everyone else was talking about a “File” tab, but there’s no File tab in my PowerPoint version.. :(

• Liz at Libro

December 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm

You’re welcome – and yes, there is no File tab in PowerPoint 2007. Funnily enough, I’ll be publishing a post on how to count the words in PowerPoint 2010 and 2013 later on this week – where there is one!

• Rahul Kulkarni

March 3, 2014 at 4:52 am

Hello, i just discovered that, the above mentioned function does count not only the words but also the punctuation marks like ” .” (dot) as a word. So this function dose not really help. Can you please find another method ? I am also searching for it, if i get first , i will post. Thanks anyway for efforts. Have a good day.

• Liz at Libro

March 3, 2014 at 9:58 am

Thanks for your comment. I’ve just checked this in 2007, 2010 and 2013 and you’re right – also I did a search and this seems to be a known problem. I have found some counting sofware on http://ginstrom.com/CountAnything/ however I HAVE NOT CHECKED THIS so it might not be legitimate. If you want to check it and report back, that would be great, I don’t have time today to do that.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,347 other followers