Small business chat update – Shelly Terry

30 Apr
Small business chat update – Shelly Terry

Welcome to another update from one of our crafty ladies – this time Shelly Terry from hand-made card company, Evelyn Mae, If you have a young family and run a business, please pop a reply down to Shelly’s special bonus question, as she’s a first-time mum and working out how to juggle things. Of course business has been taking something of a back seat, as she predicted when we last spoke in February 2015: “In a year’s time, our baby will be 7 months old, so I am hoping that I will have offered a few Christmas letters, and be readying myself to open again – whether that is full or part time. I fully intend to spend as much time as I can with our baby, so as long as I have a business plan my husband and I are happy with, I will feel accomplished”. Let’s see how this exciting year has gone!

Hello again, Shelly, and congratulations on the birth of your baby girl. Are things as you expected a year and a bit ago?

In a way. I wasn’t expecting the early days of having a baby to go so fast!!! I did offer Christmas letters, but I found it very tiring so am not really pursuing the business currently – although any organic orders that come in I will do.

What has changed and what has stayed the same?

Working with a baby! My daughter is now 10 months, she is very good and is such a happy girl – I don’t have the motivation to pursue work when I can spend my time with her.

What have you learned? What do you wish you’d known a year ago?

I wish I’d sorted more of the office, I thought it last year but it’s even more important now I’m postponing work for longer!

Any more hints and tips for people?

Taking time out isn’t giving up – give yourself the time you need to look after yourself.

BONUS NEW QUESTION: What question would YOU like to ask other small business owners?

How do you fit small business around a young family- especially if your baby isn’t a big day sleeper!

And … where do you see yourself and your business in a(nother) year’s time?

I imagine I will still be open but still only taking incoming orders, and not actively advertising. Keeping the pressure off and spending time with my daughter.

You know what – “I wish I’d sorted out more of the office” is such a common phrase to hear in these interviews – that should tell us all something, shouldn’t it! Obviously Shelly’s dialled things down at the moment, and she makes an important point about how this doesn’t mean she’s given up. I wish her another happy year with her little family, and look forward to finding out how things are going this time next year.

You can find Shelly’s work online at www.evelynmae.co.uk (with links on there to other crafting sites where she has a presence, such as Etsy). She has a blog on that site, too, and you can also find her on Facebook.

If you’ve enjoyed this interview, please see more small business chat, the index to all the interviewees, and information on how you can have your business featured (I have a full roster of interviewees now so am only taking on a very few new ones). If you’re considering setting up a new business or have recently done so, why not take a look at my books, all available now, in print and e-book formats, from a variety of sources.

Posted by on April 30, 2016 in Business, Small Business Chat

Tags: ,

6 responses to “Small business chat update – Shelly Terry

1. A.M.B.

May 3, 2016 at 12:45 am

Hi Shelley- Congratulations on your little girl, and good luck finding a balance between your business and family life that works for you!

• Shelly terry

May 26, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Thank you 😊 It’s been a busy but wonderful time X

2. Mel Carpenter

May 18, 2016 at 1:48 pm

My son is 2 years old now and luckily for me, he did sleep during the day so i could get admin done! I try to work when he’s occupied e.g. once he’s been fed, watered and is happy, i let him play in the living room with his toys if he wants to and i get on with answering emails etc. My desk is in the living room too so he can come over to me whenever he wants. Also, do NOT feel guilty if your child watches TV while you work, a couple of hours isn’t going to kill them!

I also work in the evenings and on the go – It’s amazing what you can do with a mobile phone! Finally, i delegate anything thats going to be too time consuming (music editing, flyer design), time is the most valuable commodity we have and sometimes we forget that!

I have two very happy children and although i work in the evenings, i am around in the daytime for any school stuff, they both get picked up and dropped off by me (my son goes to a childminder once a week) and they have evening meals cooked by mommy before i go to work.

There will always be times when you feel guilty for working on your business but thats just all part and parcel of being a parent 🙂

Good luck!

May 18, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience, Mel – I’m sure that will be invaluable for both Shelly and any other mums who are reading this!

• Shelly terry

May 26, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Mel 😊 It’s so nice to hear from somebody who has really cracked the work life balance.

At present Phoebe loves to use the laptop so I’m limiting that, but as she gets older, I’m hoping this will become easier! Hurrah for mobile phones!! X