Small business chat update – Nicole Y. Adams

07 May
Small business chat update – Nicole Y. Adams

Welcome to another Small Business Update, this time with Nicole Y. Adams of NYA Communications, who works primarily in editing and translating PR and marketing materials. We first met Nicole in November 2012 and then had updates in December 2013 and January 2015. At that point, when asked where she wanted to be in a year’s time, she replied “I’m not expecting any major changes. I’m perfectly happy with where my business is at the moment, and I’m hoping to continue in the same vein”. It’s always lovely to hear from overseas friends, and Nicole’s our furthest away from Libro Towers, being based in Australia. Let’s hear how she’s doing …

Hello again, Nicole. So, are you where you thought you’d be when you looked forward a year ago?

Yes, absolutely. Nothing has changed. I’m still enjoying the freelance life and am grateful for it every day. I’m blessed with a solid client base, I love my clients and the variety of my work, and I find it very fulfilling.

Hooray! What has changed and what has stayed the same?

Come to think of it, one thing has changed: I removed myself completely from social media (for professional purposes) more than a year ago and haven’t looked back. I was never a natural social media user and always found that, among certain circles at least, it is full of idle chit-chat and the same topics are being rehashed time and time again. I was getting quite bored by a handful of characters in my industry just blowing their own trumpet over the various social media all the time, plus I kept seeing a lot of self-promotion and open ridiculing of clients, and I have absolutely no time for that.

Oh, and I’ve taken up baking! 😉

What have you learned? What do you wish you’d known a year ago?

I wish I hadn’t jumped on the social media bandwagon just because it was the ‘in’ thing to do at the time. I should have listened to my gut instinct and stayed away from it, as I’m a very private person and certainly no extrovert. I much prefer personal connections with fellow professionals and one-on-one conversations.

Any more hints and tips for people?

Pretty much the same as last year. Be yourself and stay true to your own nature – and make sure your business reflects that. Don’t force yourself to engage in things you may, deep down, consider silly or against your nature (social media perhaps?), but be bold enough to pull the plug and do what you feel is right for you and your business, not what people around you tell you you should do, no matter how loud they may shout! And look after yourself: try to make time for an activity each day that you enjoy, be it exercise, yoga, meditation or arts and crafts, and stay healthy!

BONUS NEW QUESTION: What question would YOU like to ask other small business owners?

How do you manage to maintain a healthy work/life balance? Do you have any secret tips, or links to articles or videos you can recommend?

And … where do you see yourself and your business in a(nother) year’s time?

In exactly the same place! 😉

This was so interesting. My social media presence does come and go a bit, and I’d certainly run a mile from any places where clients were being ridiculed – my main social media rule is, “Don’t say anything online that you wouldn’t be happy shouting in the middle of your local town centre,” and maybe I’d better add to that, “or in front of your biggest client”! I’m pleased that Nicole has reached such a happy and balanced place in her freelance career, and is confident enough not to do things she doesn’t want to, and I hope things continue to run in that vein for her!

You can visit Nicole’s redesigned website at www.nyacommunications.com and you can of course email her. She’s on LinkedIn, and has a Facebook page.

If you’ve enjoyed this interview, please see more small business chat, the index to all the interviewees, and information on how you can have your business featured (I have a full roster of interviewees now so am only taking on a very few new ones). If you’re considering setting up a new business or have recently done so, why not take a look at my books, all available now, in print and e-book formats, from a variety of sources.

Posted by on May 7, 2016 in Business, Small Business Chat

Tags: ,

7 responses to “Small business chat update – Nicole Y. Adams

1. Stephen TIano

May 7, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Nicole, for maintaining a healthy work/life balance, I maximize the positives inherent in working from my own studio at home: I work my own hours and stop when I need to, as well. Now this takes into account a few points. First, I’m semi-retired, in a sense, in that I freelanced “with a net” for years–that is, I’ve been freelancing as a book designer/layout artist for over 25 years; but for 32+ years that jut ended this past November I also worked an unrelated, full-time, 9-to-5 job. (I was a court clerk.) So I’ve been working at odd hours for years and years already; and I like it that way. But it’s carried over now that freelancing as a book designer/layout artist is all the paying work I do. And it allows me a lifestyle that truly feels like I’ve plenty of time off, and gives time for my wife and I to have a life that’s open to spending time together–it does help that my wife is an artist and photographer and often has work and projects of her own going.

May 11, 2016 at 7:09 am

Interesting input, thank you. I agree it’s more easy to appreciate the importance of the work-life balance when you’ve had a work-work-life balance to manage – I didn’t do it so well in my first year full-time, however!

I have rules like taking most weekends off, even if I have to work like mad on the Friday, and not working after dinner, and that helps. I’m lucky that my husband has run his own business in the past, too.

• Stephen Tiano

May 11, 2016 at 10:54 am

Hmmm … It IS interesting how each of us can and do balance our freelance lives with our personal ones. Me, I love the idea of being busy enough to go out to dinner with friends on a Saturday or Sunday (or, for that matter, on a weeknight) and then, relaxed by cocktails and a fine meal, return home to work in the wee hours. But perhaps the most interesting is how we each can do that balancing act in our own unique way. Working a regular 9-to-5 M-F just doesn’t allow for that. And that’s another reason my “freelancing with a net” worked so well for me for so long … the way it continually gave me a taste of both worlds.

May 11, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I think because my husband, in-laws and most of my friends work a “normal” week, it makes sense for me to keep my weekends free. I also need my Sunday mornings for long runs …

2. janebadger

May 11, 2016 at 2:11 pm

My tip for maintaining good work-life balance is to get a dog who expects a walk at the same times every day! Alas, that doesn’t work so well now the dog is getting on a bit and prefers to sleep all day, but it worked pretty well for a while.