Small business chat update – Mel Carpenter

14 May
Small business chat update – Mel Carpenter

We’re welcoming the always energetic Mel Carpenter back to the blog today – she is an exercise and fitness guru with her current businesses being Cardio Central, The Health Carpenter, The Mummy Trainer and B3 Boot Camp. We first met Mel in February 2013 and then updated in February 2014 and March 2015. At that point, her goal for the next year was, “I hope for my husband to be working for the businesses we have full time (he still has a day job at the moment and that’s tough) and to be the go to company for brands, for all things fitness!” Fitness is a trend-led business area in many ways, and Mel is constantly having to keep up and readjust her plans, so let’s see what she’s been up to in the past year!

Hello, again, Mel! Are you where you thought you’d be when you looked forward a year ago (I bet you’re not – in a good way!)?

No! Life is constantly changing for me and I tend to go with the flow if the diversion feels right. I’m a great believer in gut instinct and its served me well so far!

What has changed and what has stayed the same?

I’m no longer a trainer for the Clubbercise Brand but I am still quite involved with them. I still teach classes and I still run the printing company that my husband and I launched when we last spoke (it’s doing really well still)!

I’m currently working on my own fitness concept, I launched it a few weeks ago and have had resounding success! I’m now working on turning the class into a teacher-training programme.

I also write a fitness column for my local paper and have been featured in several high-profile fitness publications, both online and in print!

My blog, The Health Carpenter is doing pretty well, although I don’t blog as often as I should and I’m in the process of shaping another blog called The Mummy Trainer.

What have you learned? What do you wish you’d known a year ago?

How much studying I was going to be doing! I am finally training to be a PT (my exam is in June) but I am now a Pre/Post Natal Specialist, a Children’s Fitness Instructor and a Gym Instructor (passed my exam on Saturday)!

I’ve also learnt to have more faith in my abilities as an instructor and a creator of programs. The programme I launched a couple of weeks ago was simple in its format but took elements of different programmes/experience that I’ve gained in the Fitness Industry, it’s going really well, I couldn’t be happier!

Any more hints and tips for people?

Try, try and try again! If we were successful at everything we tried the first time, the world would be a pretty boring place with no challenges! Don’t be scared to do something that scares you!

BONUS NEW QUESTION: What question would YOU like to ask other small business owners?

What motivated you/kept you going when things seemed too difficult to continue?

I think everyone should ask themselves that question as I think the answer makes you realize how hard you are willing to work to reach your goals!

I wish someone had asked me that a few years ago, it wasn’t until I had my children that I realised that everything I do, I do for them!

And … where do you see yourself and your business in a(nother) year’s time?

With a Teacher Training programme that’s up and running and providing me with an income! I’m still planning on opening that studio and I would love for it to be next year as I turn 40!

I love Mel’s updates, she’s always so busy looking at new ventures and helping others and her family. Her business development is a real contrast to some of the more fixed work areas – like mine – but it’s ALWAYS good to keep looking at what you and others are offering and making sure you’re staying current, or optimising your work flow (I’ve recently started working with a couple more ghostwriters, which gives me large chunks of work with longer deadlines and more control over my days). We wish Mel every success in the year she works up to turning 40 – I wonder what she’ll be doing this time next year!

All those websites …

www.cardiocentral.co.uk
www.thehealthcarpenter.co.uk
www.themummytrainer.co.uk
www.b3bootcamp.co.uk

If you’ve enjoyed this interview, please see more small business chat, the index to all the interviewees, and information on how you can have your business featured (I have a full roster of interviewees now so am only taking on a very few new ones). If you’re considering setting up a new business or have recently done so, why not take a look at my books, all available now, in print and e-book formats, from a variety of sources.

Posted by on May 14, 2016 in Business, Small Business Chat

Tags: ,

6 responses to “Small business chat update – Mel Carpenter

1. Stephen Tiano

May 14, 2016 at 5:01 pm

What motivated me and kept me going when things seemed too difficult to continue? Good question. On the one hand, it shouldn’t have gotten too difficult for me, as I had the full-time civil service job I’ve mentioned before (“freelancing with a net”) for security. But, surprisingly, there were times when I wondered if I shouldn’t stop wasting time freelancing, when the pickings were slim and the jobs, at best, slow even for a trickle. I compared the time spent trying to get work to the hours I get paid for in my civil service job and found myself discouraged that the time in employment was paying off better. But I’d been a quitter at a lot of things in my life to that point, and I was determined to stick things out to see if I could reinvent myself as a book designer. Besides, my wife and I used every “extra” cent I made freelancing and pretty quickly came to count on it. Finally, with the Internet such a fixture in our lives, I found a combination of promo practices–blogging, participating in online forums, snail mailing occasional promo postcards. Altogether it seems like it “took” and I’m doing okay. It’s silly to say “don’t get discouraged.” But don’t ever let that discouraged feeling override your plan, your method, or your desire.

May 18, 2016 at 7:47 am

Thank you for your comment, Steve, that’s great. The times I struggled were when I was working too jobs and I had TOO MUCH to do in one day – so the opposite, I suppose. What motivated me to push on through was knowing that by doing a lot of work, saving up the money I made from it and living very carefully on my salary, I’d one day be able to be full-time self-employed with a lot more freedom and free time. And it worked!

• Stephen Tiano

May 18, 2016 at 1:46 pm

You’re welcome, Liz! Just goes to show, all roads (or at least, different roads) can lead to Rome.

• Mel Carpenter