Undulant or unguent?

01 Mar

This is a Troublesome Pair suggested by Mr Libro, my dear husband. I’m not sure anyone will get these mixed up, but they are fun words, aren’t they? A bit of a tongue-twister, too …

Undulant is a second adjective that originates from undulate (the more common adjective is undulating, but why have one adjective when you can have two lovely unusual ones?). So it means something that is undulating, or moving with a smooth, wave-like action.

An unguent, which is a noun, is a soft and viscous or greasy substance which is used either for lubrication or as an ointment.

So now you know.

You can find more troublesome pairs here, and here’s the index to them all!


Tags: , , ,

5 responses to “Undulant or unguent?

  1. Don Massenzio

    March 2, 2017 at 4:06 pm

    Reblogged this on Don Massenzio's Blog and commented:
    Check out this short post on the difference between undulant and unguent from the Libro Editing blog.


  2. D.E. Haggerty

    March 2, 2017 at 4:16 pm

    Is it weird that I find unguent sexy? *slaps hand over mouth in horror*


    • Liz Dexter

      March 2, 2017 at 4:24 pm

      Well, it’s better than some of the words I’ve featured recently …

      Liked by 1 person

  3. Thomas Weaver

    March 2, 2017 at 4:18 pm

    I never realized that some people confuse these two words. Thanks for pointing it out.


    • Liz Dexter

      March 2, 2017 at 4:24 pm

      Sometimes I don’t believe it either, and then I find people have found the articles by searching for those very two words!

      Liked by 1 person


I love hearing from my readers - do please leave a comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: