Possum or opossum?

01 Apr

DictionariesBecause possums are known for playing dead, I thought this would be a good post for April Fool’s Day. But I’m posting this after midday in the UK, so it’s only still appropriate in later timezones than ours. Ah, well.

So, what’s the difference between opossums and possums? Well … there is and there isn’t a difference.

An opossum is an North American marsupial which is from the family Didelphidae and is handily also sometimes known as a possum. The word opossum was borrowed from the Powhatan language in the 1600s.

When Americans or those who knew the opossum first went to Australia, they found there was a similar-looking BUT NOT THE SAME animal from the Phalangeriformes family, and promptly christened it the possum. Except that it’s sometimes called an opossum.

Here’s the North American type, the opossum (or possum) (both pictures used from Wikipedia  on creatives commons licences):

North American opossum

and here’s the Australasian variant, the possum (or opossum):

Australasian possum

You’re welcome!

You can find more troublesome pairs here and the index to them all so far is here.

Tags: , , ,

6 responses to “Possum or opossum?

1. Rebecca Foster

April 2, 2017 at 3:51 pm

I had no idea about the Australasian possum! Alas, you mostly see the American ones as roadkill. I’ve never seen a live one.

Liked by 1 person

April 2, 2017 at 4:01 pm

I wasn’t sure and had to check and re-check. I don’t think I’ve seen either!

2. Julia

April 3, 2017 at 9:41 am

This is a great post. What about doing some more commonly confused animals – a mink and a minke? The mountain chicken and the plymouth rock chicken?

April 3, 2017 at 9:55 am

Glad you liked it and that’s a great idea, thank you!

3. lizipaulk

April 4, 2017 at 1:45 pm

It’s funny that you wrote this since we saw a HUGE possum (US type) having a snack at our cat’s food last night. They look like a really big really fat white rat… Very shy. I think they’re rather sweet, but DH doesn’t have the same perspective! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

April 4, 2017 at 1:57 pm

How funny, as I’ve said, I’ve never seen one, but I think I’d like to!