How do I get back to the full dashboard on WordPress.com?

18 Nov

I’ve been asked this question a few times recently, as WordPress has sought to make it easier for users to post a quick blog post or create a page. People who are familiar with the old, more detailed dashboard want to find it again. So here’s how.

How do I find the old dashboard on WordPress?

When you log on to WordPress, you will find a button marked My Sites. Click on that and you’ll get the new, simplified dashboard:

WordPress new admin page

Now click on WP Admin, circled on the above image.

This will take you to the old familiar interface:

Old WordPress dashboard

Note: this works for WordPress.com, the free version – self-hosted WordPress.org is a little different. If you’ve found this post useful, please do share it using the sharing buttons below.

Other useful posts on this site

Is it worth having a website for my business?

WordPress 1 – the basics – joining and setting up a blog (links to all the other WordPress tutorials)

Resource guide – blogging and social media

Posted by on November 18, 2015 in Blogging, Business, SEO, Social media, WordPress

Tags: , , , , , ,

23 responses to “How do I get back to the full dashboard on WordPress.com?

1. The Story Reading Ape

November 18, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Reblogged this on Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog and commented:
    You might find this useful – Courtesy of Liz Dexter – Owner of Libro Editing 😀

2. Karin

November 18, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Reblogged this on The Eclectic Poet and commented:
    I work exclusively from the old dashboard. I find it a calmer, better organized workspace, and less ‘screaming Twee’ visually.
    This post Liz Dexter, owner of Libro Editing explains how you can get to the old version of the dashboard very well.

3. Annette Rochelle Aben

November 18, 2015 at 12:46 pm

This has frustrated me from time to time… thanks for sharing.

November 18, 2015 at 2:23 pm

You’re welcome – glad I could help!

• Úna

November 11, 2016 at 12:04 pm

that option seems to be not there on mine, and i cant for the life of me, figure it out!! –

Liked by 2 people

November 11, 2016 at 2:18 pm

I’ve checked and it’s still there – make sure you scroll down as it’s at the bottom of the list. If you’re using self-hosted WordPress.org, it might be somewhere else, however. Hope that helps!

• Úna

November 11, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Liz, my list starts with: stats and plans, there are no options before that.

November 11, 2016 at 2:51 pm

So scroll down, past publish, personalise confgure, WP Admin is right at the bottom after Domains and Settings.

• Úna

November 11, 2016 at 2:54 pm

the only option at the very bottom is: + add new site

November 11, 2016 at 2:58 pm

That’s on the list of all of your sites. They have moved it around since I did the screen shot, which I’ll have to re-do when I have a moment. But if you click on your site until you have the list that starts Stats then Plans, and look down that list, you should find WP Admin.

But, as I said above, if you have self-hosted WordPress (i.e. you host it on a server you have arranged and pay for, rather than accessing it via WordPress.com), then it will be different. This blog post is for WordPress.com only as I can’t cover all the different self-hosted versions and styles.

• Úna

November 11, 2016 at 3:17 pm

very strange,its driving me crazy, and im getting very little work done!

my site is definitely wordpress.com – no sign anywhere of wp admin /dashboard.
                    can i type it somewhere in the address bar ?

November 11, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Try putting /wp-admin after your website URL, so for me it’s
                      But I can’t quite understand why I can see it in my list (which looks a lot like my screenshot above, just in a different order) and you can’t.

Liked by 2 people

• Úna

November 11, 2016 at 3:49 pm

liz i just typed wp-admin on the end and it brought me right where i wanted to go. 🙂

4. macjam47

November 19, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Very helpful.

5. dgkaye

November 25, 2015 at 4:00 am

Thanks!

6. integratedexpat

April 14, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Aha, so that’s how you do it! I arrive there sometimes unexpectedly and never know how I got there, then when I do want to use it, I can’t find it.

7. dusanvana

April 30, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Thanks! Perfect.

8. Claudette

November 12, 2016 at 11:50 pm

I have the same problem as Una. I had already tried typing wp-admin after my address – it just brings me back to the same (NEW dashboard) page. I have another WP site that the old dashboard shows on, but not this one. I am wondering if it is my theme, will have to go and check that out.

November 14, 2016 at 10:38 am

That does sound like the theme, also these instructions apply to WordPress.com sites but might not work for self-hosted ones.

Liked by 1 person

• Claudette

November 14, 2016 at 10:48 am

Thanks Liz. I am on WordPress.com, and I figured out how to get to the old dashboard (I wasn’t putting .wordpress after my domain name). Even so, the WP Admin option is definitely NOT on the new dashboard, but I just haven’t had time to see if it is a Theme issue or not. Thanks for your response.

Liked by 1 person

9. kspader

November 30, 2016 at 8:18 pm

also…if you go into settings and change the icon it takes you to the old dashboard