10 Aug

This is something that is used when working with maths texts – a friend who is studying maths asked me about it a while ago. This article will show you how to add a dot or line over a number in a Word document to indicate a repeating decimal.

Type your number first, then go to the Insert tab and look for the Symbol section to the right:

1 insert symbol

Click on the little down arrow below Symbol

2 insert symbol

Choose More symbols

3 more symbols

Drop down Subset and find Combining Diacritical Marks

4 subsets

Scroll down a little and you will find the dot and various lengths of line:

5 combining diacritics

Highlight the symbol you want to use and click Insert to insert the dot:

6 combining diacritics

Note that this will look different according to which font you’re using.

When you want to do this again, you only need to click on the down arrow under Symbol and you will find recently used symbols showing in the first drop-down:

7 combining diacritics

This article has explained how to add a dot or line over a numeral to indicate a repeating decimal.

If you’ve found this article useful, please share, comment or like. Thank you!

Other useful posts on this blog

Inserting non-standard symbols in Word

Posted by on August 10, 2016 in Word

Tags: , ,

12 responses to “How do I add a dot or line above a number in Word to indicate a repeating decimal?

1. Kate K

August 14, 2016 at 5:06 pm

This was easier than I thought it would be! Occasionally I have to use the Insert button, but always for diacritical marks in text. Never thought of perusing the entire list there. Thank you!

2. mln reddy

June 19, 2018 at 4:49 am

my problem is how to place a vinculum over a decimal part. for ex: 0.3 is the number. I need a overline/ vinculum/ line segment over the digit 3 only.

June 19, 2018 at 5:15 am

Have you tried this and did it not work? If you can give me more info, eg. version of Word, PC or Mac, I can see if I can find an answer.

• Nikki - Yet Another Crafter

October 28, 2018 at 2:40 pm

I had this issue as well. The dot appears but it appears between the recurring digit and the next space. I’ve tried using the various ‘dot above’ options and none of them work, one disappears into the number and the other goes into the next space again. Cannot find an answer for this anywhere (using word 365).

October 28, 2018 at 10:22 pm

Sorry to hear this Nikki, are you using a Microsoft 365 subscription with the latest version of Word installed?

• Nikki - Yet Another Crafter

October 29, 2018 at 5:40 am

Yes I am, if you are able to find an answer I’d be very grateful, this is the only place I’ve found where other people are reporting the same issue!

Liked by 1 person

October 29, 2018 at 9:42 am

Are you certain you’re in the “combine diacritical marks” subset when you’re choosing your dot? Have you tried in different fonts? I’ve had a search and I can’t find any answers, either, those are the only two things I can think of (sorry!).

• Nikki - Yet Another Crafter

October 29, 2018 at 12:03 pm

Absolutely certain, I have attempted to use all three of the options (directly over, to one side and to the other) and none of them work. The best is when changing the font to calibri and the dot appears centrally but it is embedded into the digit, so not visible apart from a small bit of it. I’ve tried Arial, Times New Roman and Calibri and have flicked through the font list at others and none of them place the dot correctly. I’ve also tried to use the bar above instead but that also won’t be placed correctly.

Liked by 1 person

October 30, 2018 at 6:36 am

You’ve exhausted my options now, then! I can only suggest you try to contact Microsoft about it, on their forums etc – but if you find a solution, it would be smashing if you could pop back and let me know. Good luck and sorry I couldn’t sort it out for you.

3. rvguyinthewoods

September 12, 2018 at 9:55 pm

Hello, I am Anthony from Tennessee, finishing editing my first book, finally paid for. I’d like to put a vinniculum “over” as in “on top of” a set of two #’s. Not behind or in front, which seems to be all I can do. It would help my final edit if you could help~! Thanks and God Bless.- Anthony.

September 13, 2018 at 7:49 am

Thanks for your question, Anthony. Does there need to be a line over each # or one bridging the two of them?

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )