How do I combine several Word documents into one document?

03 Sep

This article explains how to combine several Word documents into one document. It’s particularly useful if you’ve written a dissertation, thesis or book and need to combine all of the chapters into one file.

These instructions work for Word 2007, Word 2010 and Word 2013; I’ve used Word 2010 for the screenshots

Why would I want to combine chapters into one document?

Lots of people do their writing a chapter at a time, and have it edited a chapter at a time, too. But the time will come when you want to put it all into one book, with page numbers running throughout, rather than messing around starting the page numbers for chapter 2 at the next number on from chapter 1, etc.

What’s the incorrect way to combine my chapters?

You might be tempted to pick up the text of each chapter and copy and paste it into one document. That can lead to issues and inconsistencies. This is the correct way to do it and actually takes less time and avoids you leaving out any bits of your individual chapters.

How do I prepare to combine my documents?

It’s pretty easy to combine several documents into one, however the most important point is …

The file names must be in the order that the chapters are going to be in.

Word will combine your chapter files in alphanumerical order.

If you have called your chapter files

Chapter 1 introduction

Chapter 2 review of the literature

Chapter 3 methodology

Chapter 4 conclusion

then that’s fine, they will combine in that order.

If you have called your chapter files

Introduction

Review of the literature

Methodology

Conclusion

then Word will carefully sort them alphabetically into

Conclusion

Introduction

Methodology

Review of the literature

when it combines your documents.

The best thing to do is add a number 1, 2, 3, etc at the start of your file names BEFORE YOU START COMBINING, so you know they will come out in the correct order.

How do I combine my documents?

OK, so we’ve got, say, four documents or chapters to combine into one.

First, open a new, blank document (using the Home button, New, and choosing a blank document)

Then, click on the Insert tab and find Object in the Text area:

1 insert tab

Click on the arrow to the right of Object to get the drop-down menu, and click on Text from File:

2 insert text from file

Now navigate to your files and select the ones you want to combine.

3 find your files

Hold down the Control Key and click on all the ones you want to combine (or click on the top one, hold down Shift and click on the bottom one if you want all of them). Once you have them all highlighted, click Insert.

4 select files

Note: it doesn’t matter what order you are displaying them in or what order you click them in, it will choose them and insert them in alphabetical or numerical order, as I mentioned above.

Now you will have one big document including all of your chapters!

5 combined

And … if you had footnotes in the documents, and had set page numbers to show, they will automatically update in the combined document to be numbered consecutively (if you want start your footnote numbering at 1 for each chapter, you’ll need to look at my posts on footnotes and endnotes).

Don’t forget to save your document!

—–

This is part of my series on how to avoid time-consuming “short cuts” and use Word in the right way to maximise your time and improve the look of your documents.

If you have enjoyed this post and found it useful, please click on the “share” buttons below or tell your friends and colleagues about it! Thank you!

Please note, these hints work with versions of Microsoft Word currently in use – Word 2007, Word 2010 and Word 2013, all for PC. Mac compatible versions of Word should have similar options. Always save a copy of your document before manipulating it. I bear no responsibility for any pickles you might get yourself into!

Find all the short cuts here

Posted by on September 3, 2015 in Errors, New skills, Word, Writing

Tags: , , , ,

21 responses to “How do I combine several Word documents into one document?

1. José Martínez

September 4, 2015 at 11:51 am

Why not use Master documents?

September 4, 2015 at 11:54 am

It is indeed a good idea to use Master and Subdocuments, however I like to first list the most simple ways that people can do things correctly (rather than copying and pasting, for example) and then move on to more complex ideas – many people are worried enough about combining two document without going into heading levels and Master documents. But it is a topic I will cover later on.

2. Erin Willard, Freelance Copy Editor

September 4, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Reblogged this on Erin Willard, Copy Editor.

3. dgkaye

September 9, 2015 at 3:47 am

Thanks for this great info! Shared! 🙂

4. Alla Uddin Mahsud

October 20, 2015 at 10:53 am

I just loved it. The post on the alphabetical order of bibliography was amazing. I am just playing around with word and getting the exact results..

5. sue krisman

July 30, 2016 at 10:09 am

thank you so much – clearest explanation on anything online – thanks for doing this Sue

6. Melissa Pritchard

September 18, 2016 at 1:17 am

How would you go about leaving the page numbers in each document as they are, instead of them running consecutively? For instance, I want to combine three documents into one, but I want to maintain the page numbers of each document. I want my second document and third document to each start with the pages numbered 1, in my one combine document.

September 19, 2016 at 7:22 am

To do that, you’ll need to add section breaks between each document in the combined document, then start the page numbering at 1 (or whatever) after the section break.

7. Tessa

November 2, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Thanks for posting! Any clue on automatically updating the “combined”-file when making changes in the separate chapter-files?

November 2, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Thank you for your question. I don’t think you can auto-update like you can a linked Excel file; I think you would have to recombine once changes were all made, or make changes in the combined file.

Liked by 1 person

8. Bob Cope

February 3, 2017 at 9:18 pm

What determines the maximum number of files you can combine at one time?

Liked by 1 person

February 4, 2017 at 6:16 pm

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to this, and I can’t find an answer, either. One day I’ll try to combine hundreds and post about it. In the meantime, I’ll leave your question up in case anyone knows the answer!

9. Eva Blaskovic

February 5, 2017 at 7:20 am

This is great info, Liz. I use Word all the time and have never tried this.

Liked by 1 person

10. Michele Coe

February 24, 2017 at 2:37 pm

I’m having trouble maintaining my Chapter # – Page # format (in footer) when combining chapters. I have next page section breaks at the end of each chapter, and my Chapter #’s are linked to Heading 1, Level 1 in a multilevel list. But when I combine, all the Chapter numbers in my footer change to the first chapter number. Footers are not linked. Any ideas?

11. Dr Kenneth S Heard

March 10, 2017 at 1:51 pm

But what about “preserving the Formatting” of each (previously separate) Section? The MS “Insert Object” feature specifically states “Text from File” (nothing about *formatted* text!

March 10, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I can report that I’ve done this recently with a client’s two sets of chapters and they retained their formatting; they didn’t turn into .txt style unformatted text documents. I hope that helps!

12. Paul Grayston

March 13, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Worked well for me merging 36 completed 2-page forms into one appendix document for a report. Thanks for the tip.